Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Various 1990s Orlando Disney and Universal Photos

The first thing that I can remember riding at Disney's Magic Kingdom is the Mad Tea Party Teacups. This ride was built by Arrow Dynamics, the same company that built Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. The Disney installations are what put Arrow on the map for worldwide projects. This picture was taken in 1993
Me, my Dad, and my sister Taryn in the World of Imagination light tunnel at Epcot, an attraction that has not been open for many years. It supposedly still sits untouched in the building at Epcot. At that age, many of the educational rides were a bit advanced for my age at five years old. My sister Taryn was not even two yet. The light tunnel, jumping fountains in front of the pavilion, Figment, the fish at the Living Seas, and  in the  are what stick out the most in my memory from Epcot. This photo was also taken in 1993.
I believe that this photo is from 1996. This is from one of my favorite attractions in all of Walt Disney World, Epcot's The Land, a ride through the farming greenhouses. 
I believe this photo is from 1997, the third year of the famed Osborn Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at the then Disney-MGM Studios Park, which is now Disney's Hollywood Studios. The exhibit was the result of an Arkansas family having to take down their giant Christmas light display due to a  legal challenge. Disney offered to put the lights up onto the Residential Street backlot tour area and it looked phenomenal. I remember being floored by how amazing it looked. The Residential Street set was torn down to build the Lights, Motors, Action! stunt show stadium and now the lights are displayed on the New York set. With the Backlot Tram Tour getting suspended, I wonder if the New York set will be retained. Only time will tell to see if the set remains or if the lights will be moved to another home.
This photo is from 1997, when the Disney celebrated the 25th anniversary of the Magic Kingdom through putting this design onto Cinderella's Castle. They attempted to make it look like a giant cake. I am glad it was painted back to normal. 
Now we move onto Universal Studios. I believe all of these shots are from 1993. This first shot is from the soft opening of Jaws. We were lucky enough to be among the first riders on this awesome ride. Sadly the ride was removed several years ago.
This photo is us sitting in the Flintstone car, at the old Hanna-Barbera attraction. I remember this trip pretty vividly, between this, Jaws, Ghostbusters, Murder She Wrote, Barney, ET, Nickelodeon Studios, and King Kong. The latter was the most memorable, for we got stuck for at least twenty minutes next to the giant animatronic King Kong as he was about to shake the car. A pretty awesome place to get stuck. Universal Orlando was not even a year old at that point. 
We leave off with a view looking towards where Islands of Adventure would eventually be built. I am thinking that this view covers Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit, and CityWalk/Hard Rock Hotel?
Anyways, I just figured I would share some of these photos from the 90s. I hope you enjoyed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment